Thursday, September 6, 2012

Lemon Zucchini Muffins


I think I've turned into some sort of muffin addict.  No really, I make muffins about once a week.  Part of it is that my almost 3 year old LOVES muffins, so it's an easy way for me to sneak in some fruits and/or veggie that he will eat.  The other reason is that my hubby and I love them too.  My hubby will take several as snacks to work and it works out great. So be prepared for more muffin recipes to come!
I was having a craving for something lemony about a month ago and went searching on Pinterest for a good recipe.  Luckily, these muffins did the trick and satisfied my lemon craving.  The glaze on top makes me feel more like I'm eating dessert rather than muffins, but either way it's delicious!



Lemon Zucchini Muffins
Adapted from Cooking a Blue Streak
Makes 15 muffins

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 zucchini
zest of a lemon
2 eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 Tbsp lemon juice, divided
1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside.  In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.  Wash the zucchini and trim off the ends.  Then grate it.  Zest lemon.  In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs.  Add in the sugar, extra virgin olive oil, buttermilk, and 2 Tbsp of lemon juice from your lemon to your eggs.  Mix well and add in the zucchini and lemon zest.  Then add in the dry mixture and stir until just combined.  Bake 16-18 minutes, or until toothpick test in the center comes out clean.  Cool on a rack.  When they are cooled, whisk together the powdered sugar and remaining 2 Tbsp of lemon juice.  Spoon some of the glaze onto each muffin, spreading it around with the back of the spoon.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing--just looking through the blog again--haven't for a while. Love your recipes and love you!

    ReplyDelete